We are all guilty of over indulging during the festive period and come January, people are desperate and looking for that quick fix to drop those extra lbs.
You may have gone over your calories between Christmas and New Year but what is important now is to look at the amount of calories you eat between now and next Christmas.
And I’m sorry to say it but there is no quick fix, no matter how many times you see it on Instagram! Some of the magic pills you might come across include;
- Going “Keto”, “paleo” or low carb – I don’t care how many times you tell me, you won’t be able to avoid carbs for the rest of your life!
- Removing another entire macronutrient (i.e. fat) or food group (all animal products/meat/dairy etc…) from your diet
- Skinny tea – Honestly?
- Replacement meal shakes – Eat real food. Eating in a calorie deficit is likely to make you hungry enough. Don’t surrender those precious calories to liquids.
- The 5/2 diet – also known as intermittent fasting, is effectively starving yourself for 2 days a week, every week!
- Fasted cardio – not at all necessary. Not in the slightest! Sure you can do it if you really want to, but it doesn’t burn any more calories than the same amount of time on the treadmill after eating. In fact, eating before your cardio probably means you’ll perform better and hence burn more calories.
- No alcohol/no sugar– wow, how long can you keep this up?
While all of these approaches may help you to lower your calorie intake and may even be positive changes to your lifestyle, you have to ask yourself, can you stick to it for life?
Learning about food and the way it can affect you can help you to understand what works for you and how to make it fit your lifestyle which is key if you want it to be sustainable. And this is exactly what you can learn on Principal Nutrition. Over the 8 weeks, we can educate you giving you the information you need to develop a positive relationship with food and empower you to make good decisions to help you achieve your goals. We can help steer you through the maze that is fat loss while making the experience as enjoyable and effortless as possible.
Whatever your goals are for 2019, let me help!
The next course starts on 30th January. If you want more information or to sign up, you can contact me directly or sign up on the list at CrossFit Nottingham (non-CFN members also welcome).
Big love and I look forward to seeing you soon!